Vandoren was founded in 1905 by Eugène Van Doren (1873-1940), a clarinetist for the Paris Opera. The original location was eventually moved to 56 Rue Lepic, Paris where his son, Robert Van Doren (1904-1996), took over the business around 1935 and designed the 5RV mouthpiece
In 1967, Bernard Van Doren (b. 1945), grandson of Eugene, took over the company and designed the B45 clarinet mouthpiece. Bernard also introduced new machinery to the company, and moved the factory to its current location in Paris at Bormes les Mimosas in 1990. With the improvements in technology, Vandoren was able to increase production, becoming a major manufacturer of reeds and mouthhpieces for woodwind instruments.